You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford

Friday, October 7, 2011

A Sensory Diet Super Win

This picture captures something absolutely amazing.




It seems simple, right? A cat-lovin' boy and his pet cat sharing a friendly hello. But this? It would not have happened even a week ago. Little G has some sensory avoidance issues, but overall he is a sensory seeker. This means that he is always jumping, spinning, speaking loudly, putting things in his mouth, squealing, humming, intentionally bumping into walls and furniture, and handling things - and pets - roughly. Because of this, I incorporate a lot of proprioceptive input into Little G's sensory diet.

For those not in the know about sensory processing disorder, a sensory diet is simply a list of things a person can do to give them the sensory nourishment they need to function at their best. Just as children need proper nutrition from food to be healthy and grow, they also need a proper sensory diet to be healthy. Some children have greater sensory needs than others, as my son does. Because of this, I use all kinds of sensory diet suggestions and invent a few of our own to meet these additional sensory needs. Some of the activities in his sensory diet are designed to give him extra input to help calm him, while other activities are meant to desensitize his system so he can handle typical sensory information (sounds, foods, etc.) in a way similar to how most people do.

For Little G, I make up a lot of games that involve jumping, clapping, or running. We have a cool game called "push mama" where we put our hands together and he pushes me backward around the house, the yard, or wherever we happen to be, which gives his muscles and joints lots of "input" and helps him to relax, or seek input less. His sensory diet is long and ever-changing, and I would love to blog more in depth about it, but for now I want to discuss the incredible success with our cat.

Little G loves cats. He has endless books about cats, cat toys, cat coloring books, and often plays dress-up as a cat. The fact that our cat, usually tolerant of anything, runs from him has always been a source of pain and frustration for Little G. I have explained to him, talked about what cats like us humans to behave like, shown him how to pet the cat gently and without being scary to Sticky. But nothing really worked. So, with the hope that my little guy would one day be able to enjoy his pet cat as much as the rest of us do, I started putting together a sensory diet plan specifically for getting him to relax enough to be gentle with our cat. I implemented my plan for approximately three weeks, frequently discussing the topic of building trust with the cat by behaving in certain ways and by giving him a book on cats to read. I remained hopeful, but not extremely optimistic. Had any hope of Sticky ever trusting Little G been too damaged to repair?

Imagine my complete and utter shock the other night when I saw the scene I captured in the photo above with my cell phone. It's blurry from my quick movements, grainy from the poor lighting, but still one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed; my son, my sweet cat-loving little boy, finally got to pet his beloved pet cat. She didn't shrug and shimmy away, she didn't run, she didn't swat; she simply nuzzled up to his hand and enjoyed the attention.

These are the moments that bring me the greatest joy in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment