You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford

Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: Different Like Me, My Book of Autism Heroes

The other night, just before bed, my 6 year-old son proudly proclaimed, "I'm HAPPY I have autism!" He went on to tell me it's because his brain is "interesting and smart". I can't argue with him there.

We had just read some of the book Different Like Me, and he found Nikola Tesla and Temple Grandin most interesting. My daughter liked Einstein and Tesla best.

I love that there is a book like this, which celebrates the positives of being on the spectrum. I firmly believe there are gifts in every challenge, and autism is absolutely one of the most profound examples of that. Though it is not possible to say with certainty whether all of the individuals in this book would have received a diagnosis on the autism spectrum, they do at least share many familiar traits. In a society that seems all too eager to point out what cannot be accomplished because of autism, this book is about possibilities and potentials, about focusing on strengths and developing one's gifts, and about how much one person can contribute to the world in spite of challenges and differences.

The book might be a bit dry for younger children, but probably great for the 8 and up group who are beginning to understand what their diagnosis is and what it means. I love positive and empowering children's books, and this is definitely among them. Rather than the redundant, patronizing attempts at "acceptance" that too many other books throw out at us, this book focuses more on the individual and their accomplishments and contributions to the world - without the seemingly obligatory "even though they had autism" qualifier.

No comments:

Post a Comment