You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford

Friday, September 9, 2011

Week Two Wraps Up

As of today, we have completed our second week of homeschool! It was another enjoyable week, and we played with different schedule variations a bit. On Wednesday, Daddy had to work a couple of extra hours, so we used this time to do some extra lessons. On Thursday, we started bright and early in the morning and had most of our lessons finished by 10:15AM due to our jump start from the previous evening. The children were rewarded with a morning movie break for their hard work and great progress, and we wrapped up the remaining work after lunch.

The Math workbook is by far G's favorite, while R gravitates to the handwriting practice workbook. Both of them are doing great in all of their subjects, though G keeps asking me when he is going to start learning something in Math. They're going over shapes and colors, and he had that material mastered prior to preschool. "Mama, when can I learn multiplication?" he asks. We'll get there, little dude, I promise.

Language Arts is a great and challenging curriculum for both of them, and I'm taking some extra time there so they can learn both the Kindergarten and Grade 2 lessons together. The History curriculum also gets my approval, and the Kindergarten material is providing a great refresher course for R. Right now, we are studying the 7 continents and their well-known attributes, and both of my little students can name all of them. If they forget here and there, I can mention an animal or land attribute (i.e. penguins for Antarctica, the Great Wall for Asia, the Sahara Desert for Africa, and so on), and they will remember right away.

The internet, specifically YouTube, is a wonderful homeschool resource to compliment curriculum material. We watched videos about The Great Wall, kangaroos and the Great Barrier Reef, penguins, the Saharah, European castles, and this incredible Grand Canyon flyover:



R and G are learning, actually acquiring new information and retaining it, and being a part of this process is an honor and a gift. This feels right, like the way it is supposed to be. And not only do I enjoy having my family together and being a part of their learning, but I really like the teaching part!

I'm also still enjoying that bus passing right by our home, no stops required. I think I'll enjoy that indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment