You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Loving The Rich History Curriculum

Today, Little G studied the Ancestral Pueblo in his history class. We read about how these people covered hunted animals in blankets of turkey feathers and thanked the spirit of the animal for the sacrifice of life that was given so that they could eat. I find this practice to be beautiful and mindful. While I am mostly a vegetarian (I do sometimes eat fish), and strive to eat vegan, I don't condemn the consumption of animals products. I do, however, wish people would be more like the Ancestral Pueblo and many Native Americans and truly appreciate the sacrifice of life that occurs so we may be fortunate enough to eat. Sadly, gluttony, excess, and entitlement seem to have replaced the humble, much more aware nature of our forefathers.

I continue to be thoroughly impressed with K12's history curriculum. It is so rich and the coverage is so in-depth that I feel my children are learning things much earlier and much more clearly than I ever did. History seems to take a backseat position to everything else in many public schools, which is incredibly sad given how critical it is for all of us to know our history and the history of our world. I know I probably sound like an infomercial for K12 in some of my posts, but I did a lot of research before choosing this option and I feel extremely confident that it was absolutely the right choice for my family. With every lesson I present to my children, these feelings are reinforced.

No comments:

Post a Comment