You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Scouts

I don't know how I feel about Girl Scouts. I've been debating getting my daughter involved in Scouts for a couple of years now, a consideration which has been more at the forefront of my mind since we began homeschooling last year. I want my children to have as many opportunities to socialize in a healthy environment as they can/want.

I emphasize healthy social opportunities. With this in mind, my feelings on Boy Scouts are much more clear; I don't want my son being part of an organization that openly discriminates against the LGBT community and bans people from leadership positions within the organization based on their orientation. I find it extremely sad that if same-gender couple had a son in Boy Scouts, neither of them could contribute in a leadership role for their son's troop. This goes against the values we are teaching our children (love, acceptance), so I'm not comfortable with his participation in such an organization.

Boy Scouts also takes a firm position on requiring that its participants to follow a religion:

"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."
This bothers me as well. We are not religious people in the traditional sense. I consider myself an Agnostic with Buddhist leanings, but this is more a way of life than a "religion", so to speak. The Boy Scouts of America statement is really offensive to me, because it implies that my children, my husband, and I are not capable of being among the best citizens no matter who we are outside of our beliefs. I have no problem at all with what anyone else believes, but I have a very big problem with others telling me what I or my children must believe, or making judgements about my character based on whether or not I share their faith - or one they approve of.

Girl Scouts does appear to be far more inclusive with their policies. They even allowed transgender member Bobby Montoya to participate. Girl Scouts of Colorado spoke out through GLAAD and released the following statement on transgender youth participating in Girl Scouts:
"If a child identifies as a girl and the child's family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout."
I was super impressed with this. It made me want to run out and buy a box of Girl Scout cookies. If only the Boy Scouts of America could step out of the stone ages and follow suit. It's 2012, folks.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I want my daughter to participate in Girl Scouts. I've heard there are troops with very religious leanings, and those which tend to be very secular. I'm not sure about the local troop, though I do know that they hold meetings in a church and plaster photos of the girls all over a very public Facebook page. I'm not so comfortable with that, so it seems unlikely. Fortunately, K12 offers opportunities for social interaction. We also have soccer, classes through our community arts centers, and various other ways to stay connected. My kids burn out on socializing fairly quickly anyhow, being on the spectrum, so our needs are less than average to begin with.

3 comments:

  1. I can completely relate! We are having all sorts of troubles finding social interactions for my 7 year old daughter. Unfortunately for us, OHVA does not have very many opportunities in our area and in that age range. I was in contact with the head of girl scouts through emails. She was so nice and mailed out a packet and said a parent volunteer would contact me. We exchanged several emails, however as soon as I asked about the religion because as I remembered, scouts were held in my public school when I was younger, she stopped contacting me and that parent volunteer never called. I tried emailing several times and never got any replies. Same thing happened with a parent who I found on my own, that is apart of the girl scouts. It is frustrating that so many people who are suppose to be looking out for children, are so judgmental. So because I chose not to have a religious belief and do not believe in "imaginary beings in the sky", that automatically makes my children and family horrible people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the rules of Scouts bother me too but seriously, our group is just too busy having fun and learning to worry about such things.

    I wholeheartedly agree with the notion that no sexual activity, gay, lesbian, "normal" or weird should be part of scouts. That stuff should be saved for home. On that basis, one's personal preference for the way that they do things has no place in scouts or discussions. How would they know and why would it matter? BP may even have been gay for all we know.

    I raised the question of Buddhism at one of our district meetings and was told that they have a God. This was news to me. In any case, there are specifically Buddhist scouts.

    Btw: The Australian phrase is: I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to my God. Notice the use of the word MY?

    Then there's the question of exclusion; Why is the BSA for boys only? We have boys and girls in our pack and often the girls are better leaders. There's evidence to suggest that girls were involved on the early Brownsea island camps too, though I can't find the link now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a great experience with Girl Scouts when my daughter was little. I do think some troops are more religious than others, so maybe ask the coordinator if she can recommend one that is secular.

    I'm on the same page with you in avoiding Boy Scouts for my boys. It's too bad, because I think it's such a beneficial program other than the religious and sexual intolerance!

    ReplyDelete