You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford

Friday, August 19, 2011

Incentives and Rewards

I've had this post in my mind and my drafts for about a week, so when someone in our virtual academy group posted about rewards, I finally felt motivated to discuss in detail what I've been thinking about.

Everyone works for something. Maybe it's the fruits of a backyard garden or that weekend project that adds value to our home; we all have reasons, goals, and things we desire to have or do. Children are no different, and we shouldn't expect them to do things 'because I said so'. Sure, you do what you boss asks of you, but it is because you want that promotion, or simply to keep your job. Without goals, even if it is just a cool activity book or a fun new whistle from the dollar store, children are unlikely to feel motivated. Feeling motivation and excitement of working toward and attaining goals is important for children; it gives them a sense of purpose in what they do.

My children are young, ages 5 and 7 in grades K and 2. We have a "warm and fuzzy" system.


I keep huge bags of cotton balls in the house, as well as a container of fun books, activity pads, funky colored pencils or markers, jelly bracelets, silly pencil toppers, bubbles, and other cool things I find at the dollar store and other various places. They LOVE trading in their warm and fuzzies for a prize! We do prizes for every 10 warm and fuzzies earned. Because they are so close in age, filling the bin with items they will both enjoy is fairly easy. The only issue I've run into so far is when one of them chooses a prize the other was hoping for (note to self: grab two of most things!).

For older children, you could use marbles or homemade coupons. Charts can work also, but having something tangible they can hold and watch accumulate seems to be more motivating. There are endless possibilities, so your family can design a cool system that is a perfect fit for you. As prize incentives for older children, parents can offer extra computer or TV time.

A word of caution on incentives. Some people have mentioned using candy or even trips to fast food places as prizes. I'd caution strongly against this. Children should never associate food with rewards or behaviors, only as fuel. This can create a world of trouble for them down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog from Kelly's Korner. I am a homeschooling mom too!

    Such a cute idea! I completely agree. This was our first year of homeschooling and my girls were in public school prior to this, so I didn't want them focused on a "grade" I wanted them to do their best work, though. We have worked on different reward systems, but this idea sounds great. It also teaches them to be responsible for their "warm and fuzzies" :)

    ReplyDelete