You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mama, Will I Need a Backpack?

When I first thought about what homeschooling meant for us, I wasn't thinking about backpacks. My daughter already had one, because I prepare early and hers broke at the end of last school year. My son still has one in perfect condition from preschool. But would we even need them?

Initially, I figured road trips to grandma's house would be about the most use our backpacks would be getting as a homeschooling family, but I realized I wasn't really thinking outside of the box. Almost my entire experience with education has consisted of bricks and mortar schools, with the exception of having completed a couple of my college classes via online courses after I moved 50 miles away from campus. With my online courses, there was little to no need for a backpack. But homeschooling elementary students is a bit different. Nothing says we have to hold "class" at the kitchen table. We could throw our lessons into backpacks and head to the library for a change of pace. We might decide that having an outdoor art lesson at the park followed by a picnic lunch is a great way to spend the first half of our day. The possibilities are pretty much limitless.

Similarly limitless is our virtual academy's capacity to impress me with what they offer students. I went through approximately 1 1/2 of our 4 boxes of school curriculum and supplies, and I literally got butterflies of excitement about all that we will be doing this year.


I'm loving, absolutely loving the fact that I can actually look forward to this school year. Have I mentioned that yet?

1 comment:

  1. I love this suggestion to use the backpacks for field trips and "class" outings. It makes me think about doing more science observations while practicing drawing and writing. We have a local petting zoo/park for children that is free during the week. It would be fun to put their lunches in the backpacks with their pencils and notebooks and have our kindergarteners draw/observe while our second grader writes what she observes. Thanks for sparking some ideas!

    ReplyDelete